Thursday 6 October 2011

LETS BE HUMMING BIRDS

Last week, while driving, I heard the news on the radio that my hero Wangari Maathai
had passed away. She is a big reason why I got into Harvard; so it’s only fitting that I pay tribute to her.

In 2004 she won the Nobel Peace prize in recognition for the work carried out by the organization she founded in 1977; ‘The Green Belt Movement (GBM)’. To date GBM has planted more than 30 million trees in Africa and has helped nearly 900,000 women, according to the United Nations, while inspiring similar efforts in other countries in Africa and across the globe. Her work centered on improving the lives of women, building a sustainable relationship between people and the land and education.

I had promised myself for a long time that if ever I was in a position to set policy, that I would make my CSR about planting trees. With that, I wish to make the following public pledge and commitment:

“That 1% of all revenue from Marinacraft.com will go towards planting trees”

In so doing, Marinacraft.com becomes part of the solution. By supporting us, YOU become part of the solution.

I will update all on the mechanisms that I will use to get them trees planted, in the meantime, id like to leave all of you with a link to a New York times article about Dr. Wangari. Imbedded in the article is an amazing video that she did which really sums up what she’s about and how we all can do our tiny bit to help this planet.


Thank you and my very best regards,

Anthony
Creative Director
Marinacraft.com

No comments:

Post a Comment